Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I guess I'm not Tim the Tool Man Taylor. Oh, and it's cold!


It has been SO COLD the last couple of days here. Last night it was a whopping -23! This morning Kali still had wet hair when we took Caleb to school and it took a matter of two minutes for her hair to freeze just by getting inside of the car! And that's dangerous because your hair will break off. We live next to a huge mountain so in the winter we live in the shadow of the mountain. It's sunny outside but my whole neighborhood never sees the sun. (Notice the shadow of a mountain in the pic).
When our house was built 25 years ago someone thought that it would be a great idea to put the washer and dryer in the garage. HA HA HA HA HA! Now, I have to take some responsibility in this next incident, but really who wants to do laundry in a garage?! Our garage has this huge heater that hangs from the ceiling. Aaron unplugged it because we thought "lets save some money. Who cares if the garage isn't heated." So yesterday after playing basketball I left the beast outside and plugged it in ( anytime it's colder than 20 you need to plug your car in, Caleb thinks it's funny). I really needed to do some laundry and it had been piling up because who wants to dress like an Eskimo just do laundry in the garage? I set the washer for the cycle that I wanted and turned it on and.....nothing happened. I realized that my pipes must of froze. I turned on the hot water and after about 30 seconds a little drizzle was coming out. When it started running fine I switched it back to cold and it took awhile but the water did start to flow. Whewww, that was a close one. So I thought, "Okay self, stop being cheap and plug in the darn heater." I did and hopefully that won't happen again. A couple of hours later it was quiet time and Madeline and the baby were sleeping. I had just folded a load of laundry and was thinking of the next project I could do. I decided I would hang the new bi-fold door for the pantry in the kitchen. Easy, right? Well, after fighting with it for more than an hour I won, but realized that I only had 10 minutes to pick up Caleb from school. I rushed and put everyone in the car and drove off. I got to the end of the neighborhood and realized that I forgot to do something, but what was it? And then I realized that I had FORGOT TO UNPLUG THE CAR and had been driving down the road dragging an extension cord behind me. I kind of panicked out of embarassment and because I was late to get Caleb and backed up all the way to my house. (Just that move alone I deserved to be laughed at). Goodness. Today I decided that I was going to do a little project that wouldn't take so much time. That "little" project was to switch out an old switch to a toggle decorative switch. Easy, right? I turned off the power, read the directions, and reminded Kali that if I made a strange face and dropped to the ground to go get a neighbor and call 911. By the way, all through my switch switching project Kali kept saying "Are you okay? Should I call 991 yet?" LOL. So, I turned the power on and....nothing happened. I turned off the power and switched the wires , turned the power back on and...nothing again. At this very moment I'm sitting in my house that only has 1/2 it's power. I don't know what the heck I did. But don't worry, our neighbor who's an electrician is coming over in an hour.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

GOD BLESS YOU IN ALL YOUR CHAOS AND PROJECTS! YOU ARE A TOUGH COOKIE! YOU GO GIRL

AV8RAL said...

You're CRAZY! That's why I love you so much. If you weren't crazy, you wouldn't love me!

Anonymous said...

OMG Jessie only you would forget to UNPLUG your car...LMBO.

xoxo
<3 Lena