
I've realized lately that over the years we, as in members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, have been instructed multiple times to have our families prepared for an emergency and have our food storage in tact. Last week when I was visiting teacher with my bestest companion, Jody, she was telling how Elder M. Russell Ballard was recently at her sister's stake. He was pleading with the members that NOW is the time to get our affairs in order. Get rid of debt and have a food storage. He said that things will get much worse before it gets better and that many will be hurt by our economy's situation. That day I went to Costco and people were FIGHTING over rice! Costco is only letting people buy one bag at a time because of the shortage. The employees were saying that everyday when the doors open people run as fast as they can to get the rice. Unbelievable. My friend, Kelly, and I almost started to panic buy in Costco but decided that we should go home and take inventory first and come up with a plan to prepare. Then that huge cyclone happened in Burma which is a huge rice producer. I came home and felt so troubled that I hadn't prepared our family. I mean food storage isn't only in a time of crisis. Some people lose their jobs and live off of their food storage when money is tight. Then yesterday that huge earthquake happened in China. So many people don't have anything. And even if their house didn't cumble they probably don't have power or running water. So, I'm on a new mission to prepare my family. I found a food calculator on the church's website and for my family of 6 I need 900lbs or wheat, flour, rice to substain us for 6 months. And we as church members are supposed to store water for us to drink, bath, ect. Plus, after Katrina the church made a policy that you store X amount of water for the stake in the case of emergency. Water was the biggest need in Katrina. I started to feel overwhelmed but thought that if I just wrote down a plan that I'd be okay. So first I needed to find a place to store all this stuff. Last night I cleared out the room under the stairs and organized everything in the office closet. I just finished so now I have a 6x3 to store my food and water. Now I'm making a list of everything that I need and on Friday Kelly and I are driving out to the cannery to pick up our supplies. I'm feeling good. I know Aaron can work his butt off and provide an income to take care of our family but this is the one project that I need to do to take care of us. I just keep reminding myself that the Lord said that "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear." I know that being faithful in following the prophet's advice will only help our family.
3 comments:
What is the link for the calculater thingy?? It is very smart to be prepared, i have my can food goods and of course we have cows and stuff in worse came to worse and thank goodness for our spring water!!! But did you know there is not a shortage yet of rice that costco and Sam's put a limit because of the gas thing? Restraunts are coming in and buying alot in bulk so they dont have to pay the shipping on rice.. But as we watch all these storms knocking out towns and cities its soo smart to be ahead of the game...=]
You're a genius....that's why I married you!
Good job honey!
Good luck tomorrow with your flight and all! HAVE FUN! I wish we were going to be at Innies my kids miss their Innie so bad! Plus the kids would have alot of fun! Fly safe take care! Luv Jen
Post a Comment